AP NEWS

Ansonia fire responds to carbon monoxide emergency

November 27, 2018

ANSONIA — Fire personnel responded to reports of residents of an Adanti Drive residence being overcome by carbon monoxide.

According to dispatch reports, around 11:40 a.m., the Ansonia Fire Department was at the residence, were people were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes and being transported to the hospital. No further details were immediately available.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that has been dubbed “the silent killer.” If exposure is left untreated, it can lead to serious illness or death. It’s found in fumes produced by portable generators, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood.

The gas can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces, making people and animals ill. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that about 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

AP RADIO
Update hourly