The Latest: Judge questions request to save health subsidies
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Latest on a lawsuit by California and other states over health care subsidies cut off by the Trump administration (all times local):
A federal judge says he doesn’t see how the Trump administration’s decision to cut off health insurance subsidies would immediately harm consumers.
U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria said during a hearing Monday that California and other states had anticipated the subsidies would end and found a way to make sure consumers wouldn’t pay more for insurance.
The hearing was ongoing and Chhabria has not yet reached a decision.
However, he said he didn’t see any immediate harm that would lead him to grant California’s request for an order forcing the administration to resume the payments right away.
The subsidies allow lower out-of-pocket costs for consumers who get coverage under former President Barack Obama’s health care law.
Trump abruptly cut them off earlier this month, saying the system is imploding. He says they should be authorized by Congress.
California and other states sued, saying Trump is illegally trying to sabotage the health care law.
An attempt by 19 states to force President Donald Trump to pay health care subsidies will go before a federal judge in San Francisco.
State attorneys general, led by California Democrat Xavier Becerra, will try on Monday to convince U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria that the payments are required by law.
The payments allow for lower out-of-pocket costs for consumers who get coverage under former President Barack Obama’s health care law. Trump abruptly cut them off earlier this month, saying “Obamacare” is imploding. He says they should be explicitly authorized by Congress.
Becerra says Trump is illegally trying to sabotage Obama’s health care law.