NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A New Bedford man has been held without bail after pleading not guilty to a fatal shooting in the city last month.

The Standard-Times reports (http://bit.ly/1JyaUBa ) that 22-year-old Michael Sousa pleaded not guilty Tuesday to murder, armed robbery and related charges stemming from the Aug. 2 slaying of 24-year-old Jeffrey Sylvia Jr.

Prosecutor Daniel Hourihan says Sousa showed a friend a handgun and said that he "shot someone" moments after the shooting.

A 17-year-old boy has been charged as Sousa's accomplice. He's charged with murder, armed robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Sousa's attorney, Dana Sargent, says prosecutors have released little information to him and his client maintains his innocence.

___

Information from: The (New Bedford, Mass.) Standard-Times, http://www.southcoasttoday.com