AP NEWS
Related topics

Marcos Claims to Presidency Unfounded, State Department Says

May 17, 1986

WASHINGTON (AP) _ The State Department said Friday that Ferdinand E. Marcos is continuing partisan political activity while in exile in Hawaii, but that his claims to the presidency of the Philippines are ″totally without foundation.″

Department spokesman Charles E. Redman, asked about statements made by Marcos since he left the Philippines in late February, said ″there is increasing evidence of partisan political activity by Mr. Marcos,″ from his home in Hawaii.

″We do know that Mr. Marcos has asserted in recent interviews with the press that he is still the president of the Philippines,″ Redman added. ″The claims are totally without foundation.″

Redman noted that the United States was the first nation to recognize Marcos’ successor, Corazon Aquino, as president of the Philippines and that it fully supports her efforts to improve her country.

In the early days of his stay in Hawaii, Marcos was granted a large measure of hospitality that U.S. officials said at the time was fitting for a former head of state who had supported U.S. policies for many years.

In recent weeks, however, as Marcos has proclaimed his support for Aquino opponents who have mounted street demonstrations, administration figures have been openly cool toward him.

″Marcos left the Philippines in a mess, and the new government is trying to dig their way out of it,″ Secretary of State Shultz said earlier this week.

Marcos, meanwhile, released a statement Friday in Honolulu refuting a Washington Times article that quoted sources as saying he had set up a government in exile, complete with rented office space.

″This is a complete and total falsehood fabricated by those who obviously wish ill not only to myself but to the Philippines,″ Marcos said in a statement telephoned to the Associated Press by his aide Arthur Balmaceda.

AP RADIO
Update hourly