Day in History: Winfield collects his 3,000th hit with the Twins
1993 – 25 years ago
• Dave Winfield, who grew up in St. Paul and was a baseball and basketball star for the University of Minnesota Gophers, stroked his 3,000th hit in the Minnesota Twins’ 13-inning victory against the Oakland A’s. Winfield got the hit in the ninth inning against Dennis Eckersley.
• U.S. West Communications will close its Rochester service offices by mid-1994. About 170 employees will lose their jobs.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Rita Ring, a senior, is the only girl in a class of 11 Kenyon High School students enrolled in the school’s first course in aviation education.
• James Roforth, a member of the Lake City High School faculty, won the Lake City Country Club Championship. Some 45 golfers took part in the meet.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Bud Abbott & Lou Costello star in “Pardon My Sarong” at the Empress Theater in Rochester. Doors open at 2 p.m.
• More than $15 billion needs to be raised in the Third War Loan Drive of which $2.3 million is the quota for Olmsted County. Citizens are urged to buy their bonds at the Union National Bank. Remember, “Back the Attack, Buy War Bonds.”
1918 – 100 years ago
• A wild gander today in Cascade Township grabbed a little boy by the nose, threw him to the ground, and began to whack the boy with its large wings before the young lad was rescued by his dad. The little guy suffered a broken nose.
• A Winona physician was arrested today on a charge of disloyalty. Bail was fixed at $10,000 as he is charged with “favoring the cause of Germany.”
• The Minnesota Federation of Women’s Clubs will present a war service program at Winona this evening.
From news services
Ten years ago: Defense Secretary Robert Gates met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and offered the people of Afghanistan his “personal regrets” for U.S. airstrikes that had killed civilians and said he would try to improve the accuracy of air warfare. A suicide attack on the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa, Yemen, killed 19 people, including an American woman and six militants.
Five years ago: Engineers declared success as the Costa Concordia cruise ship was pulled completely upright during an unprecedented, 19-hour operation to wrench it from its side where it had capsized off Tuscany in 2012. Eiji Toyoda, 100, a member of Toyota’s founding family who helped create the super-efficient “Toyota Way” production method, died in Toyota city, Japan.
One year ago: British authorities said a second suspect was in custody in connection with the bomb that partially exploded two days earlier on a packed London subway. The top series prizes at the Emmy Awards went to “The Handmaid’s Tale,” ’’Veep” and the ever-topical “Saturday Night Live”; the ceremony took almost nonstop aim at President Donald Trump in awards and speeches.
Today’s birthdays: Sen. Charles E. Grassley, R-Iowa, is 85. Retired Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter is 79. Singer LaMonte McLemore (The Fifth Dimension) is 83. Retired U.S. Marine Gen. Anthony Zinni is 75. Basketball Hall of Fame coach Phil Jackson is 73. Singer Fee Waybill is 70. Actress Cassandra Peterson (“Elvira, Mistress of the Dark”) is 67. Comedian Rita Rudner is 65. Muppeteer Kevin Clash (former voice of Elmo on “Sesame Street”) is 58. Director-actor Paul Feig is 56. Movie director Baz Luhrmann is 56. Singer BeBe Winans is 56. TV personality/businessman Robert Herjavec (TV: “Shark Tank”) is 55. Actor Kyle Chandler is 53. Director-producer Bryan Singer is 53. Rapper Doug E. Fresh is 52. Actor Malik Yoba is 51. Rock singer Anastacia is 50. Rock musician Keith Flint (Prodigy) is 49. Actor Matthew Settle is 49. Rapper Vinnie (Naughty By Nature) is 48. Actor-comedian Bobby Lee is 47. Actor Felix Solis is 47. Rhythm-and-blues singer Marcus Sanders (Hi-Five) is 45. Actress-singer Nona Gaye is 44. Singer-actor Constantine Maroulis is 43. NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson is 43. Pop singer Maile Misajon (Eden’s Crush) is 42. Country singer-songwriter Stephen Cochran is 39. Rock musician Chuck Comeau (Simple Plan) is 39. Actor Billy Miller is 39. Country singer Desi Wasdin (3 of Hearts) is 35. Rock musician Jon Walker is 33. Actress Danielle Brooks is 29. Actress-singer Denyse Tontz is 24.