Related topics

Couple Sues Over Hot Pickle Burn

October 7, 2000

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) _ A woman who claims she was permanently scarred after a hot pickle from a McDonald’s hamburger fell on her chin is suing the restaurant for more than $100,000.

Veronica M. Martin claims in a lawsuit filed in Knox County Circuit Court that the burn also caused her physical and mental pain. She is seeking $110,000. Her husband, Darrin Martin, is seeking $15,000, because he ``has been deprived of the services and consortium of his wife.″

The hamburger ``was in a defective condition or unreasonably dangerous to the general consumer and in particular to (Veronica Martin),″ according to the two-page lawsuit, which was reported in The Knoxville News-Sentinel on Saturday.

Representatives with Mar Inc., owner of the McDonald’s franchise, did not return a telephone call from the newspaper.

The lawsuit says the Martins bought hamburgers at the McDonald’s on Oct. 6, 1999.

``While attempting to eat the hamburger, the pickle dropped from the hamburger onto her chin,″ the lawsuit reads. ``The pickle was extremely hot and burned the chin of (Mrs. Martin).″

Mrs. Martin had second-degree burns and is permanently scarred, according to the lawsuit.

In 1994, a New Mexico woman was awarded $2.7 million after suing McDonald’s for burns she suffered when coffee she bought at a drive-through window spilled in her lap.

A judge later lowered the award to just under $500,000.

Update hourly