No Bail for Man Who Stabbed Woman with Broken Bottle in Tewksbury
LOWELL -- A still-unidentified man will remain in jail after being deemed dangerous by the Lowell District Court on Friday morning.
The accused, who police and court officials currently identify as John Doe, was brought in front of Judge Daniel Crane for a dangerousness hearing. He was previously arraigned in court on March 26 for 11 charges including assault, kidnapping and identity fraud.
His charges stem from allegedly holding his ex-girlfriend against her will, threatening to kill her and then stabbing her 18 times with a broken beer bottle on the porch of the Tewksbury Funeral Home on March 25 when she tried to escape.
Though he identified himself as 36-year-old Luis Hernandez, police later discovered that he was lying as he was in possession of a MassHealth insurance card and a state ID card that belonged to a Puerto Rican man with the same name.
At the time of the arrest, the victim told police that she had dated the accused for four years and while the two broke up a year-and-a-half ago, they remained in contact with each other. She noted that the accused had abused alcohol, cocaine and heroin in the past and had been physically and verbally violent to her as well.
The victim told police that the accused was helping her get over a recent illness and the two were driving back to her apartment on March 24. After getting into two arguments, she said the accused physically assaulted her, locked her in her bedroom and threatened her with a small silver steak knife. Fearing for her life, she tried to escape the next morning but the accused hit her in the head with a beer bottle and then began stabbing her. After a neighbor heard the victim’s cries for help and saw the attack happening, the accused went back to the apartment before police arrived to arrest him.
The unidentified man is charged with armed assault with the intent to murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, mayhem, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a household member, kidnapping, possessing a false Registry of Motor Vehicles signature, identity fraud, possessing false identification information and two counts of witness intimidation.
Assistant District Attorney Gregory Galizio noted how the accused has been charged with prior offenses, including breaking and entering, and had violated probation multiple times. Galizio said there is “overwhelming evidence” that the man was a danger to his victim and society and that the DA’s office would likely indict him.
Defense Attorney Christopher Spring said the man was a 36-year-old resident of Lawrence, originally born in Puerto Rico, who had been living in Massachusetts for 30 years. He recommended his client be released with a GPS monitor to track his movement.
A woman sitting on the opposite side of the court during the hearing audibly referred to the accused in court as “a danger to society,” causing court bailiffs to nearly remove her. After the hearing concluded, the woman walked out of court and became visibly emotional, though not wishing to be identified.
“He almost killed my mother,” she said as she left the building.
The accused will remain held without bail and is set to be back in court on April 24.