DENVER (AP) _ A man convicted for helping the teens who shot up Columbine High School buy a gun they used in the 1999 attack was paroled Saturday.

Philip Duran was placed on parole Saturday because he had completed 75 percent of his sentence, the rule for parole under state law, according to Department of Corrections spokeswoman Alison Morgan. She said he will have to maintain weekly contact with a parole officer, hold a job and live in an approved residence.

Duran, 26, had worked with Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold at a pizza shop and introduced them to the man who sold them a TEC-DC9 semiautomatic handgun used in the April 20, 1999, massacre.

Harris and Klebold fatally shot a teacher and 12 students and wounded 23 others before killing themselves.

Duran pleaded guilty to supplying minors with a handgun and illegally possessing a sawed-off shotgun. He was sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison in June 2000.

Mark Manes, who sold the semiautomatic handgun, pleaded guilty to a similar charge and was sentenced to six years in prison.

The stepfather of Lauren Townsend, one of the students killed in the attack, said the family was disappointed that Duran had been paroled.

``We thought when he got sentenced that he should have gotten a lengthier (prison term),'' Bruce Beck told The Denver Post.