Report: 2 dogs treated by vets; likely ingested marijuana
Two dogs were recently rushed to animal hospitals after likely suffering marijuana poisoning in what veterinarians are saying is a growing problem, according to NBC CT
John Bruno told NBC CT that he took his dog, Jodi, on a regular walk but by Monday night he was seeking the help of the Pieper Veterinary Emergency Center in Madison. “She was twitching, and she’d jump and she was very nervous,” he told the station. He thought she was having a stroke or a seizure, but the vet told him that he was “98 percent sure that it was she had ingested marijuana,” Bruno said.
His regular vet in Old Lyme, Dr. Kimberly Clark confirmed the diagnosis and told NBC CT that it was the second case she’s seen in five days. Clark also said her office is seeing an increase in cases of marijuana ingestion in pets since the state legalized medical marijuana.
Dr. Carol Himsel, an emergency and critical care doctor at Pieper Veterinary Madison said their doctors see cases of dogs ingesting marijuana about once a week. Before medicinal marijuana became legal in Connecticut, that number was around once a month, Himsel told NBC CT.
The bottom line is that dog owners should pay close attention to their pets on walks and make sure to pull pets away if they appear to be sniffing something too intently, Clark said.
“If they’re really sniffing something under the bench, pull them out because there may be something in there they shouldn’t be getting into,” Clark said.