AP NEWS

Unattended grill ignites deck, couch at Pocatello apartment

May 1, 2019

POCATELLO — A Tuesday fire that destroyed a couch and damaged a deck at an apartment near Old Town should serve as a cautionary tale, according to the Pocatello Fire Department.

The fire was reported around 11:45 a.m. at an apartment in the 400 block of West Sherman Street.

The fire was caused by burning charcoal from an unattended outdoor grill that was used the night before. The blaze ignited the apartment’s deck and a couch on the deck, the Fire Department said.

Fortunately a passerby saw the flames, notified the individual living in the apartment and dialed 911.

Residents used a garden hose to begin battling the fire and firefighters extinguished the remaining flames when they arrived. There were no injuries.

The Fire Department said people should never leave an outdoor grill unattended without making sure the fire is completely out and that includes smoldering charcoal.