AP NEWS
Related topics

Sports Shorts

January 7, 1987

ATLANTA (AP) _ The Atlanta Hawks have acquired veteran guard Gus Williams from the Washington Bullets in exchange for a second-round NBA draft choice in 1990.

As part of the trade Tuesday, the Bullets, under league rules, waived their right of first refusal and the 15-day waiting period that goes into effect upon the signing of an offer sheet by a free agent.

The 33-year-old Williams, who played two seasons with the Bullets, averaging 13.5 points last season, was a free agent and had not played this season with Washington.

Because of the NBA’s cap on total salaries, the Hawks could offer him no more than $150,000 for a one-year contract. Williams earlier had rejected that offer. Terms of the contract he accepted were not disclosed.

Williams, a 10-year NBA veteran, began his pro career with Golden State. He also has played with Seattle and Washington, averaging 17.6 points during his career.

---

ATLANTA (AP) - Bob DiBiasio has been hired as director of public relations and promotions by the Atlanta Braves, general manager Bobby Cox announced.

DiBiasio, 31, who had been public relations director for the Cleveland Indians for eight seasons before resigning last June, will begin his new position Jan. 12, Cox said Tuesday.

Cox said the club had terminated the contracts of its previous public relations staff that included Wayne Minshew, who had been director of public relations, promotions; Robin Monsky, director of media information; and Bob Korch, director of publications; media relations.

The general manager said the three would be offered positions with Turner Broadcasting System, owned by Ted Turner, who also owns the Braves. Korch will remain with the club until April while working on the club’s yearbook, Cox said.

---

BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Red Sox and free agent catcher Rich Gedman reportedly are still far apart in their attempts to reach an agreement on a contract before Thursday’s midnight deadline.

If Gedman doesn’t agree to terms by then with the American League club, the Red Sox will be prohibited from signing him until May 1. Gedman would still be eligible to sign with another team.

Red Sox general manager Lou Gorman told The Boston Globe that a 90-minute meeting Tuesday with Gedman’s agent, Jack Sands, was unproductive. ″We discussed many things, but nothing was accomplished,″ Gorman said.

″We’re still talking,″ said Gorman, but declined to predict the outcome.

Gedman, who reportedly is seeking a $1 million contract, was not at the meeting. He had lost in a bid in arbitration a year ago to boost his paycheck to seven figures.

Last year, Gedman received an estimated $650,000.

Since declaring free agency, Gedman has not received feelers from other major league clubs.

---

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) - The Washington Bullets activated forward Jay Vincent following a doctor’s examination.

Vincent suffered a ruptured tendon of his right ring finger Oct. 11 in the first preseason game, against the Atlanta Hawks. The 6-7 forward had not seen action the entire season, but was expected to play in Tuesday night’s game at home against the Los Angeles Clippers.

To make room for Vincent on the roster, the Bullets placed forward Mike O’Koren, suffering from lower back spasms, on the injured reserve list Tuesday.

Vincent was obtained in September from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for the Bullets’ 1990 first-round draft pick. The 6-7 O’Koren was acquired from the New Jersey Nets Oct. 30 in exchange for Leon Wood.

AP RADIO
Update hourly