Scheduled Roadwork 9/3/18
The state Department of Transportation announced the following upcoming road work projects:
• Motorists traveling through Northeast Pennsylvania are encouraged to take a safety break at interstate rest areas over the Labor Day holiday. Community groups will serve free coffee at rest areas through Monday through a program coordinated with PennDOT that’s designed to encourage drivers to “Take a Break for Safety’s Sake” during the busy holiday travel period. Breaks will be held at rest areas on Interstates 80, 81, and 84 as well as the Matamoras Welcome Center and the Great Bend Welcome Center.
• As the new school year gets underway, motorists need to be vigilant to avoid potentially tragic crashes and strong penalties as school buses return to the roads and transport children.
• There will traffic issues on state Route 93 Broad Street in Hazleton from Sept. 7 through Sept. 10 for the annual Funfest from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. each night.
• Local police departments will be conducting DUI events this weekend in Dallas, Kingston Twp., Jackson Twp., Lehman Twp., Dallas Twp., Hazleton, Kingston, Courtdale and Larksville.
• Suscon Road in the Pittston Twp./Dupont area closed Aug. 13. A detour will be set and the project will run for 56 days.
There will be single lanes for pothole patching on the following roads:
• State Route 118 between state Route 29 and Fedor Road, Tuesday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• State Route 309 South Mountain Boulevard in Fairview and Wright townships, Tuesday and Wednesday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• State Route 940 between Freeland and White Haven, Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Main Street Edwardsville, Tuesday to Thursday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• White Haven Road, Bear Creek Twp., Thursday and Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Route 115 bridge work: Motorists will use a temporary bridge for travel around the work zone during construction to replace the Route 115 Bear Creek Boulevard bridge spanning Little Shades Creek in Bear Creek Twp. Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work area.
• North Cross Valley Expressway project: The on ramp to the North Cross Valley Expressway at Exit 3 River Street in Plains Twp. is closed through summer 2019. A signed detour will be in place for the duration of the on ramp construction. The on-ramp bridge deck and parapets will be removed and replaced. The beams and girders will be inspected and painted. A signed detour will be in place for the duration of the on ramp construction. Short term traffic delays might be experienced. Also on the Cross Valley, work from exit 4 to exit 6 will be done at night. The project will be from Forty Fort to Luzerne. The 2018 work will be to improving shoulders and will be done at night. Deck and repair work will begin in the spring of 2019.
• South Valley Parkway project: A partial opening means that motorists coming from Wilkes-Barre can now reach Kosciuszko Street on the parkway. A roundabout will be built at Prospect Street and Middle Road starting in spring 2019. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2020.
All work depends on weather conditions.
— STAFF REPORT