Harmar ice company keeps cool when the temperatures soar
With tempeatures soaring into the 90s this week, Harmar-based Home City Ice is one of the coolest workplaces in the Alle-Kiski Valley.
Demand for ice is constant, but the recent heat wave has the company producing 400,000 pounds of ice per day to meet consumer demands.
Here are some cool facts about the company to keep your mind off of the thermometer:
• The company freezes water while it’s in motion, which allows impurities to be removed by gravity.
• Their ice is stored at 20 degrees Farenheit in a giant freezer.
• The company makes about 200 tons -- or 400,000 pounds -- of ice per day. That’s 8.3 tons per hour.
• Home City sold and shipped about 1.4 million pounds of ice from Friday to Monday this year.
• The total ice sold and shipped over the same four-day period last year was just over 1 million pounds.
• The company sold 400,000 more pounds this year -- a full day’s worth of production and an increase of nearly 50 percent.