Ex-badminton No. 1 Chong Wei gets April 11 doping hearing
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Two-time Olympic silver medalist Lee Chong Wei has received an April 11 hearing in Amsterdam for his positive doping test at last year’s badminton world championships.
The Badminton Association of Malaysia passed on the word from the world body.
Chong Wei was world-ranked No. 1 when he was suspended in November. He tested positive for the banned substance dexamethasone after his semifinal at the world championships in August. He lost the final, his last appearance on tour.
His legal team delayed scheduled hearings in December and February to give their defense more time. Chong Wei has denied cheating, but admitted dexamethasone was injected into him to treat a thigh injury before the worlds.
The 32-year-oldhas said if he receives the standard two-year ban, he will retire. He’s hoping, at worse, for a reduced sentence.
Chong Wei has put off retirement to win a first Olympic gold medal for Malaysia, and a world championship.
“The wait (for a hearing) has been a mental anguish,” he told The Star newspaper. “Hopefully, it’ll be all over soon. ... I’m waiting for positive news. The Olympic qualifying period starts on May 1, and I hope to be cleared by then.”
He also told The Star, his wife, Wong Mew Choo, was five months pregnant with their second son.