HEBRON, West Bank (AP) _ A 13-year-old Palestinian boy who was critically wounded in clashes with Israeli troops died today at a Hebron hospital after his family allowed doctors to take him off life support.

The death of the boy, Samer Karameh, could spark new protests in Hebron, site of almost daily violence between Palestinian stone-throwers and Israeli troops over the past week.

In a confrontation last week, Karameh was struck in the head by a rubber bullet fired by Israeli troops to quell protests. Karameh had been unconscious since then. Early today, his family gave permission to take him off a respirator, said his doctor, Tawfik Ahmer.

The latest round of Hebron violence began March 10 when three Palestinian workers were shot to death at an Israeli army roadblock west of the divided city.

The deaths triggered protests, and on Friday 30 Jewish settlers, complaining one of their homes had been shot at, stormed a neighborhood in the Palestinian-run part of town and stoned Arab homes and Arab-owned cars.

In response, the Palestinian security chief in the West Bank, Col. Jibril Rajoub, said Monday that Jewish settlers who entered Palestinian-controlled areas of the city to attack residents would ``not leave alive.''

The remark angered Israeli leaders who accused Rajoub of further escalating the tensions.