AP NEWS

Bedford Firefighters Clear Smoke from VA

December 8, 2018

Sun Staff Report

BEDFORD -- Bedford firefighters helped to move patients at the Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital after the floor they were on filled with smoke Friday afternoon.

At 3:37 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the hospital after a fire alarm was activated inside Building 6 at the complex located at 200 Springs Road, according to a release.

When they arrived, firefighters observed smoke on the first floor of the building and later on the second and third floors as well. The firefighters assisted hospital staff with relocating patients to a separate area of the hospital from the one affected floor that was occupied, according to the release.

It was determined that the smoke originated from a void space between the building and a stairway, fire officials said. A preliminary investigation indicates that the smoke condition was the result of smoking materials that were discarded near a debris pile in the void space.

Firefighters cleared smoke from the building and left the scene at approximately 6:15 p.m., according to the release. No injuries were reported.

In a written statement, Chief David Grunes commended firefighters for “helping support a safe and orderly evacuation, while also determining the root of the problem and preventing any serious damage.”

Firefighters from the Billerica, Lexington, Concord, and Burlington Fire Departments assisted Bedford firefighters during the incident.

Follow Amaris Castillo on Twitter @AmarisCastillo.

AP RADIO
Update hourly