AP NEWS
Related topics

Foodmaker Settles With Parents of Child Killed By E. Coli

October 22, 1993

SEATTLE (AP) _ The parents of a 2-year-old girl who died from a strain of E. coli bacterium linked to Jack in the Box hamburgers have reached a settlement with the restaurant chain’s parent company, the family’s lawyer said.

Terms of the settlement with Foodmaker, the San Diego-based parent of Jack in the Box, were not disclosed, company spokeswoman Sheree Zizzi said Thursday.

Attorney Thomas P. Graham III of Seattle described it as ″substantial.″

Celina R. Shribbs of Mountlake Terrace was one of three children to die in the state last winter in an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7, a bacterium found in undercooked meat. Roughly 500 others in Washington fell ill.

The outbreak was traced to contaminated and undercooked hamburgers served by Jack in the Box.

Celina, the daughter of Keith and Shanda Shribbs, died Jan. 28. Neither she nor her parents had eaten at a Jack in the Box, and health officials weren’t able to determine from whom she got the infection.

But sophisticated testing at the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta showed Celina’s strain of E. coli matched the toxins found in the contaminated restaurant meat, Graham said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly