Women in Philanthropy awards $130,000 to Ivy Tech campuses
MICHIGAN CITY – Michigan City’s Ivy Tech campus was among the award recipients of the Ivy Tech Foundation’s Women in Philanthropy organization.
Women in Philanthropy hosted its third annual Circle of Ivy luncheon recently. The initiative raises funds to diminish barriers to higher education for Ivy Tech Community College students. Circle of Ivy has a statewide reach, with a focus specifically on campus needs and projects that positively impact students.
Since its inception in 2015, Circle of Ivy has grown to more than 600 members, which is nearly double in size since the event last year in October. Members include local community supporters, employees, 124 alumni, 85 students, and 2 of its youngest members, a 6 and 9-year old. In four years, the members have raised more than $327,000 to assist in sending students abroad, providing necessary instructional materials, helping students with emergency needs, providing textbooks, and providing a local community with eyeglasses, to name a few.
“The growth and impact our members have been able to have on our local communities and entire state has been truly inspiring,” says Kara Monroe, chair of Circle of Ivy and provost, Ivy Tech Community College. “Circle of Ivy truly embodies the difference a group of empowered women collectively can make in helping others succeed in their educational and personal journeys.”
This year’s Circle of Ivy event awarded $130,000 to 51 projects. Each campus voted on submitted proposals and the following projects will be funded:
• Anderson Campus - Emergency Funds
• Bloomington Campus - Taste of Italy, Students Success Kits, Achieve Your Degree Company Mentors, Food for Thought, Early Childhood Instructional Materials, Fighting Trauma, and Alternative Spring Break 2019
• Columbus Campus - Writing Across the Curriculum, University Library of Columbus Comicon Event, New Student First Aid kits, and Pass the Torch Women in Stem
• Evansville Campus - Cyber Security Competition
• Fort Wayne Campus - G.O.A.L y Amigos and Certification in Health Sciences Scholarship Fund
• Indianapolis Campus - Homeland Security/Public Safety Fire Science Small Frame Uniforms, The Early Resource Connections Center: Supplying Life Support, Completion and Emergency Funds for TRIO Participants, and Bucks for Books
• Kokomo Campus - New Chairs for Learning Resource Center computer workstations, Cash for Completers, ASAP Enrichment - Fund a Field Trip, and Project Televised Graduation
• Lafayette Campus - Hispanic Day Outreach, Phi Theta Kappa Membership Scholarship, and Ivy Tech First Generation Student Event
• Lake County, Valparaiso, Michigan City Campuses - Road to Graduation!
• Lawrenceburg Campus - Women and Words
• Madison Campus - Professionalism Workshop and IVYT 111 Financial literacy curriculum
• Marion Campus - Emergency Funds
• Muncie Campus - Emergency Funds
• Richmond Campus - Nursing Career Investigation in a Speed Dating Format, Fatal Vision Impairment Goggles, NCLEX-associated fee payment, and Math Technology Needs
• Sellersburg Campus - Transitional Transportation, Human Services Program: Career Related Training for Students, and International Convention: The Opportunity of A Lifetime
• South Bend/Elkhart Campus - Empowering Coalition Closet Event, Medical Laboratory Technician Refrigerator, and Medical Assisting Externship Costs
• Terre Haute Campus - Student Counseling Services, Program Marketing and Awareness, Health Sciences Connection Corner, and Get Up and Move It, Move It
• Warsaw Site - Emergency Supply Pantry, Educational Travel Scholarships, and Academic Supplies Assistance
• Statewide - Rising Against Hunger Meal Packing Event and Help Students Get Books
To learn more about Circle of Ivy visit ivytech.edu/circleofivy.