Editor, Daily Times:
When a snow emergency is declared during the months of November through April, you are likely to get a $50 parking ticket if you are parked on the public streets between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. The key to having that not happen is to stay alert and make yourself aware of when a snow emergency is declared. There are several ways to do that.
1. Monitor the Watertown Daily Times. They usually print a front page notice that an emergency has been declared.
2. Monitor the newspaper’s website, www.wdtimes.com.
3. Call the nonemergency police department telephone number (261-6660) and ask if a snow emergency has been declared.
4. Go online to see if a notice has been posted at www.ci.watertown.wi.us.
5. Team up with several of your friends, each of whom agree to call one another immediately when they find out that an emergency has been declared.
6. Finally, look outside around 9 p.m. If it is snowing or a fair amount of snow has accumulated, why gamble?
Ronald W. Ziwisky
Reserve municipal judge