AP NEWS
Related topics

Four Children Die In House Fire

November 7, 1985

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) _ Four children playing with a cigarette lighter were killed after the lighter ignited a mattress in their apartment, fire officials say.

Fire Chief Robert Lamson said the four were pulled from their burning second-story bedroom Wednesday afternoon.

The children were identified as Shameekah Adams, 4; Yolanda Adams, 3; Clarence Williams Jr, 1; and Lachelle Adams, 11 months, said Anne Fisken, a management aide at the Lakeside Homes apartment complex in Pontiac.

Shameekah and Yolanda Adams died at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital of respiratory arrest, a hospital administator said. The other two children were dead on arrival at Pontiac General Hospital, said Nursing Director Pamela Kazerroni.

A maintenance worker was alerted to the fire when a smoke detector sounded, Fisken said. The worker discovered the children in the closet of a bedroom where the mattress was smoldering, she said.

Fisken said the maintenance worker told her that the children had been playing with a cigarette lighter.

The children’s mother, Yvonne Adams, had gone to a neighbor’s and saw smoke pouring from the bedroom window on her return, said the neighbor, Linda Dempsey.

Fire officials put out the blaze quickly, confining most of the damage to the bedroom and its contents, Lamson said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly