Related topics

Six Die of Gas Poisoning from Hot Water Heaters

December 1, 1995

BEIJING (AP) _ Six residents of the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing died this week after gas fumes leaked into their showers from faulty water heaters.

The deaths were caused by two separate incidents a day apart, the Yangcheng Evening News reported in Thursday’s editions.

In the first case, five people died when a family member took a long, hot shower. Investigators said closed windows trapped the fumes, which spread throughout the house. A relative discovered the bodies Monday, a day later. The shower and heater were still running.

Another Nanjing resident died under similar circumstances Monday. A neighbor heard an explosion in an apartment and called firefighters. The victim was found dead in the bathroom.

Because many older Chinese apartment buildings do not supply hot water, residents install their own water heaters for bathing. Often they are of poor quality, and reports of exploding heaters and scaldings are frequent.

Update hourly