Related topics

Ohio State 36, LSU 33

September 25, 1988

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) _ Greg Frey passed 20 yards to Bobby Olive for the game-winning touchdown with 38 seconds remaining as Ohio State upset No.7 Louisiana State 36-33 Saturday.

Frey completed 24 of 37 passes for 281 yards and two touchdowns as Ohio State, 2-1, came back from a 13-point deficit with less than two minutes left.

LSU, also 2-1, went ahead 33-20 with 4:29 remaining when a pass from Tommy Hodson to Tony Moss was tipped into the hands of teammate Alvin Lee, who completed a 55-yard touchdown play.

But the Buckeyes came back on a 5-yard touchdown run by Carlos Snow with 1:56 left, then held LSU on downs. LSU elected to take a safety with 1:34 remaining, cutting the lead to 33-29.

The Tigers punted on the ensuing free kick, with Olive returning the kick 32 yards to the LSU 38.

Frey completed two passes for 18 yards. On third-and-7, the sophomore quarterback hit Olive over the middle and he dove into the end zone.

The defeat put an end to LSU’s string of 14 straight road victories.

Snow had 90 yards on 21 carries and two touchdowns to lead Ohio State, which rushed for 93 net yards. The sophomore also had five catches for 41 yards.

Snow started in place of Vince Workman, Ohio State’s leading rusher the last two seasons, who was declared ineligible earlier in the week for accepting money from and signing with agent Dave Lueddekke.

Hodson completed 20 of 40 passes for 299 yards and two touchdowns. The Tigers’ Eddie Fuller had 87 yards on 20 carries.

Pat O’Morrow had field goals of 35 and 41 yards for Ohio State, while David Browndyke kicked field goals of 36, 27, 35 and 20 yards for LSU.

Ohio State erased a 3-0 deficit with 14 points in a two-minute span of the second quarter. Snow scored on a 1-yard run and, on LSU’s next possession, Rene Bourgeois’ punt was blocked by Vincent Clark. Mike McCray returned the ball 22 yards for a touchdown.

Ohio State led 17-13 midway through the third quarter when LSU scored on a 3-yard run by Fuller and a field goal to take a 23-17 lead.

After the teams traded field goals, Hodson hit Lee with the tipped pass that appeared to put the game out of reach.

The game was played before 90,584, the second largest crowd in Ohio Stadium history.

Update hourly