The lost town of Fleming
In the early 1890s, the Norfolk & Western Railway was under construction through the Twelve Pole Valley with the goal of opening the coalfields of southern Wayne County for the first time.
In August of 1891, the new tracks had extended past Genoa, and the Coaldale Mining & Manufacturing Company was established.
A new town called Fleming was created between Genoa and Dunlow to handle the company’s operation.
The company built a company store, eighteen company houses, a blacksmith shop, and other buildings at Fleming and quickly went to mining coal.
Twenty-six men were employed, and production reached 250 tons per day.
The coal was loaded onto N&W trains via a tipple.
The Fleming Post Office opened in 1892. Coaldale produced until 1893 when it went out of business. Finally, the post office closed in 1901.
Today, only a handful of old mine openings in the surrounding hills remain to remind us of the town of Fleming.
Today, Rustic Ravines resort owns part of land on which the coal mining operations occurred.
Information contributed from “Last Train to Dunlow” by Kay Stamper Dickinson and Jack L. Dickinson.