Purdue Denies NCAA Allegations
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) _ Purdue University officials said Tuesday they have found no evidence to support charges the men’s basketball program violated NCAA rules, except in relation to minor violations already reported.
The university has asked the NCAA to withdraw the allegations.
``Our hope is that the enforcement staff, after reviewing our response and supporting materials, will agree with our conclusion that the three major allegations should be withdrawn,″ Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke said.
Purdue announced March 2 that the NCAA was investigating possible rules violations. The university already had disciplined assistant coach Frank Kendrick for meeting with a recruit during a period designated by the NCAA as one when coaches were not to have any contact with prospective athletes. Kendrick was fined an undisclosed amount of money and forbidden to recruit off campus for 10 days during the official recruiting period that began in November 1996.
The university’s response was delayed four times by the NCAA to let Purdue officials gather information they said they needed.
On Monday, Burke said Purdue’s review found no evidence to support charges that a prospective recruit received a $4,000 bank loan with the understanding the money did not have to be repaid and that the same player received a $150 payment from a man identified as a Purdue booster.
He also said charges that another alleged booster paid moving expenses for the mother of a Purdue player, allowed her to live rent free for two months in an apartment he owned and drove her to and from 25 Purdue basketball games are untrue.
Kendrick, who allegedly acted as intermediary in each incident, passed a lie detector test last month, Burke said.
``We believe the polygraph evidence provides additional credible and persuasive information to support his statements,″ Burke said.