Related topics

Neurosurgeon To Stand Trial In Molestation Of Teen-age Patient

January 19, 1985

ARDMORE, Pa. (AP) _ A neurosurgeon has been ordered to stand trial on charges of molesting a 17-year-old patient, who testified that he fondled her and forced her to have sex with him one day after removing a malignant tumor from her brain.

″I was shocked, shocked,″ the girl told District Justice Caroline Stine, who ruled Friday that prosecutors had presented sufficient evidence to try Dr. Samuel Lyness on charges of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault, endangering the welfare of children and corrupting the morals of a minor.

The teen-ager said the acts took place in her room at Bryn Mawr Hospital on Nov. 27, minutes after the 51-year-old physician injected a substance into her intravenous tube. She said she never consented to Lyness touching her, adding that she was alert and fully aware of what was happening.

She said she didn’t report the incident to a nurse who came into her room after the doctor left ″because I didn’t know her.... The next morning I called my parents and told them I didn’t want to see that doctor again, and I told them what happened.″

Lyness, of Paoli, was not present at the hearing. The Institute for Living, a psychiatric hospital in Hartford, Conn., confirmed that Lyness had checked himself into the hospital on Thursday.

The doctor’s attorney, Jean Green, unsuccessfully sought to have the charges dismissed after Assistant District Attorney Maryanne Killinger called two witnesses, the girl and a detective who investigated the case.

″We know she was taking drugs at the time, that she had serious surgery, and that she doesn’t recall everything that allegedly happened,″ Ms. Green argued.

The teen-ager testified that she entered the hospital on Nov. 25 and had surgery the next day. The incident occurred after she had been transferred from the intensive care unit to a private room, she said.

Asked what Lyness said to her, she replied: ″He said I’d get a good night’s sleep.″

Lyness, who is affiliated with Bryn Mawr, Abington Memorial and Paoli Memorial hospitals, has been suspended from practicing at Bryn Mawr and has agreed not to work at Paoli pending the outcome of the case.Abington Memorial has taken no action against the neurosurgeon, but a hospital vice president said Lyness hasn’t practiced there since 1983.

After a monthlong investigation, the state Board of Medical Education and Licensure cited Lyness for alleged ″immoral or unprofessional conduct″ and gave him 20 days to show why his license should not be suspended or revoked. No hearing date has been set.

Update hourly