Man found guilty of home invasion

March 19, 2019

BRIDGEPORT — A city man is facing more than 50 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of a 2017 home invasion.

The six-member, Superior Court jury deliberated about six hours over two days before finding Oscar “Juny” Abraham guilty of home invasion, attempted first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, two counts of risk of injury to children and use of a firearm in the commission of a crime.

The 44-year-old Abraham, who has an extensive criminal record, is scheduled to be sentenced by Judge Earl Richards on May 10.

“The jury worked hard and examined all the evidence before arriving at the appropriate verdict,” Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Ann Lawlor said later.

During the two-week trial, Lawlor presented testimony from witnesses that Abraham forced his way into a home on Kossuth Street in Bridgeport on the early evening of Sept. 21, 2017.

Police said the male resident of the home was standing on his porch with a neighbor when a masked man pointed a gun at them. The neighbor told police he immediately jumped over the porch railing and fled.

The resident told police he ran inside to his apartment on the second floor and closed his door behind him. He told police Abraham kicked in the door and entered the residence. The victim was in his apartment with his wife and two children at the time, police said. The victim’s sons told police that Abraham pointed his gun at them.

An altercation took place between Abraham and the victim, police said. The victim chased Abraham back outside.

The victim hid behind a minivan outside the residence parked near the sidewalk and told police Abraham began to shoot at him from the porch. The victim returned fire with his own firearm — which police said was registered and valid under a pistol permit — and shot Abraham once on the right side of his chest and once in his left knee.

Police said the victim told them Abraham fled the scene. The neighbor saw him leave in a nearby car.

Abraham was later arrested at Bridgeport Hospital where he was being treated for his injuries.