Bruno Fernando, Anthony Cowan Jr. to declare for 2019 NBA Draft
Maryland center Bruno Fernando and point guard Anthony Cowan Jr. will declare for the NBA draft and hire agents, the program announced Monday.
Cowan was the Terrapins’ team leader and leading scorer (15.6 points per game) as a junior. Fernando was named first-team All-Big Ten and a finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year Award after averaging 13.6 points and 10.6 rebounds per gamerecording 22 double-doubles along the way.
Fernando tested the draft waters last year, but returned for a second season with the Terrapins. Now projected to be a first-round pick, it’s very likely Fernando will remain in the draft and head to the pros.
“It has long been my dream to play basketball at its highest level in the NBA,” Fernando said in a statement. “With that being said, I am taking the pre-draft process extremely seriously. I want to ensure that I make an informed decision that will set the foundation for sustained success and prosperity throughout my playing career and beyond.”
Cowan is a more likely candidate to return to Maryland after going through the draft process.
“As I enter my final year of eligibility, I feel it’s important to receive an evaluation of my game from professional teams to best prepare myself for life after college,” he said in a statement.
Hiring an agent no longer means a player foregoes his option to return to school, under a new rule this year. Now an agent can help guide the prospects through the evaluation process, but the player can still withdraw his name and return to the NCAA (but must cut ties with the agent).
The news comes a week after Maryland freshman forward Jalen Smith announced he will return to college next year rather than enter the draft.