Fire destroyed part of Central City home
Brittany Boyer was in the kitchen of her home at 142 Statler Street in Central City on Sunday when her daughter came to her and said the upstairs was on fire.
“I grabbed some water and went to the bottom of the steps and saw smoke,” Boyer said. “I grabbed the kids and said, ‘Let’s get out. The house is on fire.’”
Fire crews were dispatched at 8:23 a.m. Central City Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Stoystown, Hooversville, Scalp Level Paint Fire Department, Windber and Shanksville.
The scene was cleared at 11:39 a.m., according to Somerset County Control.
Central City Fire Chief Dale Russian said it took two minutes to knock down with water supplied by a fire hydrant.
“We had fire coming out of the second floor of one house of the duplex,” Russian said. “On the 142 side, we had fire coming out of it.”
Russian couldn’t give a reason for the fire, nor could he say if there were working smoke detectors.
The fire was deemed accidental, though the fire marshal was called for advice. In all, 50 firefighters dealt with the blaze.
Russian couldn’t give an estimate of the cost, but he said the second floor of the building was destroyed. The American Red Cross was called, and staff assisted the family in finding shelter.