Related topics

Restaurant Manager Accused of Putting Bleach in Employee’s Drink

December 17, 1991

ST. LOUIS (AP) _ A restaurant employeee said her boss put bleach in her iced tea to discourage her from drinking on the job.

Shirley Perotti, 38, said her esophagus was burned after drinking the tea Sunday night.

″I had a glass of tea with a straw and I reached down and took a big drink,″ she said Monday from a hospital. ″It tasted terrible, and then my chest and throat started burning real bad. I fell down and started screaming for help.″

The 31-year-old manager of the Shoney’s restaurant in north St. Louis County admitted putting a small amount of bleach into the tea, police said.

″She said she was trying to dissuade employees from drinking,″ county police Lt. Mark Gartland said. ″It was a very dumb thing to do.″

The manager was suspended and police said they planned to apply for a warrant charging her with assault.

Update hourly