This Week In Nebraska History, 09/16/18

September 17, 2018

1878: George L. Brown was preparing the first printed Lincoln city directory.

1888: Ground was broken for the new Fitzgerald wholesale house at Seventh and P streets. The building became the home of Beatrice Creamery.

1898: The YWCA held its first meeting in the McBride Block. Accommodations were ready for 30 to 40 girls.

1908: Secretary W.R. Mellor announced a plan to locate the large State Fair buildings on the outer edges of the grounds.

1918: Adrian M. Newens bought a controlling interest in the conservatory that eventually became the University of Nebraska School of Music.

1928: A tornado swept over northeast Nebraska, leaving eight dead and several seriously injured.

1938: Thousands visited Omaha to attend the world premiere of the movie “Boys Town,” which was filmed at the home.

1948: The state treasury reported a balance of $39,730,930 at the end of August.

1958: Sen. John F. Kennedy, D-Mass., campaigned in Lincoln for U.S. Senate hopeful Frank B. Morrison of Nebraska. Morrison, a Democrat, was running against Republican incumbent Roman Hruska.

1968: State Engineer John Hosack resigned. He had headed the Roads Department, the state’s biggest spending agency, for eight years. In this period, most of Interstate 80 was built and hundreds of miles of highways were given dustless surfaces.

1978: Crime in Lincoln, following a national trend, decreased in the first half of 1978, according to a report from the FBI. Lincoln recorded a total of 3,612 crimes in the first six months of 1978 compared with 4,050 during the same period the previous year.

1988: Lancaster County’s population rose by about 1,500 in a 12-month period between 1996 and 1997. The county grew by 7.7 percent to an estimated 207,700, and Douglas, Sarpy and Washington counties grew by about 3,600 to an estimated 528,000 people in July 1987.

1998: An ordinance to control anti-abortion picketing at Westminster Presbyterian Church cleared the City Council by a 4-3 vote. However, Mayor Mike Johanns vetoed it two days later.

Update hourly