Related topics

Hundreds evacuated after gas leak at vocational school

June 4, 2015

FITCHBURG, Mass. (AP) — Hundreds of teens and toddlers in tutus were evacuated from a Fitchburg high school after authorities say a high-pressure gas line ruptured in front of the performing arts center.

No injuries were reported.

Unitil officials say crews were working on the gas line at Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical School on Wednesday evening when it ruptured. Dance students were inside rehearsing for an upcoming show.

Many parents in the auditorium were separated from their dancers backstage.

Gas company crews were able to cap the leak about an hour later.

About 700 customers in the area had their gas service turned off. The utility said all customers are expected to have gas service restored by the end of Thursday.

The Department of Public Utilities and the gas company are investigating.

Update hourly