Related topics

Seminarian Held in Attack; Two Arabs Die in Other Incidents With AM-Israel-Politics

July 5, 1989

JERUSALEM (AP) _ A judge ordered a Jewish seminarian to remain in custody Wednesday on charges he shot and wounded two Palestinian workers near Tel Aviv, and police said he may have been involved in several raids on Arab villages.

In the West Bank, Palestinians killed a fellow Arab suspected of collaborating with Israeli authorities, and a 20-year-old Palestinian died of bullet wounds suffered in a clash with Israeli soldiers.

Seven Palestinians were shot and wounded in stone-throwing clashes with Israeli troops in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Arab reports said.

The deaths raised to at least 543 the number of Palestinians killed in the nearly 19-month uprising against Israeli rule in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip. Twenty-three Israelis also have died in the violence.

Judge Chaim Eilat, of the Tel Aviv Magistrate Court, ordered seminary student Rafi Solomon held for 10 days. Solomon, 23, studies at Joseph’s Tomb seminary in the town of Nablus in the occupied West Bank. The court earlier suppressed publication of his name.

He was taken into custody June 20 after he allegedly shot and wounded two Palestinian workers who were waiting for rides on the outskirts of Tel Aviv. Witnesses said he was wearing a checkered Arab scarf to try to hide his identity.

The attack on the workers occurred shortly after an emotional funeral for a U.S.-born settler, Frederick Steven Rosenfeld, killed by Arab shepherds as he hiked alone on the West Bank.

Police told the court that at the time of the shooting, Solomon was free on bail after he and seven other seminary students were detained in connection with a raid on the West Bank village of Kifl Harith. A 13-year-old Palestinian girl was fatally shot in the raid May 29.

In requesting that Solomon be held in custody for 10 more days, police also said he may have been involved in other raids on Arab villages, but they gave no details.

Doctors in the West Bank town of Nablus said that Khaled Hamadi, 20, of the village of Beit Leit died Wednesday of gunshot wounds suffered when villagers resisted a raid by Israeli troops 10 days ago. He was shot several times in the stomach, they said.

The body of the suspected collaborator, Jamil Al Kadoumi, 32, was found in the Nablus casbah, or market, on Wednesday. His hands were tied behind his back and his skull had been crushed, Arab reports said.

Meanwhile, doctors in a Nablus hospital said a 17-year-old, Anjad Naaneesh, was treated for severe razor cuts cigarette burns all over his body after masked Arab youths abducted him from his home Tuesday night. Both his arms and legs were broken.

The two victims were suspected of collaborating with Israel’s Shin Bet secret police, Palestinians said.

Israeli troops continued their security sweep in the West Bank, and the Israeli Itim news agency said that 50 Palestinian activists were arrested. On Tuesday, an army sweep resulted in 200 arrests.

Update hourly