Week 9 matchups could shake up Trib HSSN high school football power rankings
Every Tuesday during the 2018 WPIAL football season, the TribLive High School Sports Network releases weekly Power Rankings. These rankings have zero classification boundaries.
There was a minor change this week after two weeks of zero movement, as the bottom two teams flip-flopped power positions.
No. 9 West Allegheny lost to No. 5 North Allegheny in a nonconference battle of Class 5A and 6A contenders.
Week 9 is known as rivalry week and concludes the regular season in the district. It also provides some of the stiffest challenges of the year, with every ranked team set to meet a playoff-bound squad, with one exception.
West Allegheny is at Moon, where the Tigers have officially been eliminated form the Class 5A wild card chase.
The top spot in the power rankings could be up for grabs in a much-anticipated showdown that will determine the Class 6A regular-season champion as North Allegheny hosts Pine-Richland.
Here are the rankings heading into Week 9:
WPIAL Football Trib 10
Team, record, last week’s ranking, this week’s opponent
1. Pine-Richland, 8-1, 1, at No. 5 North Allegheny on Trib HSSN
2. Gateway, 9-0, 2, hosts McKeesport on Trib HSSN
3. Penn Hills, 9-0, 3, at North Hills
4. Aliquippa, 9-0, 4, at Central Valley on Trib HSSN
5. North Allegheny, 9-0, 5, hosts No. 1 Pine-Richland on Trib HSSN
6. Thomas Jefferson, 8-0, 6, at West Mifflin
7. Jeannette, 9-0, 7, hosts Clairton on Trib HSSN
8. Shady Side Academy, 8-0, 8, at Avonworth on Trib HSSN
9. South Fayette, 8-1, 10, at Montour on Trib HSSN
10. West Allegheny, 6-2, 9, at Moon