Three Dead After Inhaling Toxic Fumes
LAURENS, S.C. (AP) _ Toxic fumes from a cleaning solvent overcame workers in an unventilated section of a pumping station on Lake Rabon on Wednesday, killing three of them and critically injuring one, authorities said.
″Apparently they were at the bottom of the pump station cleaning up some paint with some highly volatile, toxic cleaning solution when they were overcome,″ said Laurens County Coroner Zack Seymour.
About 10 emergency medical workers called to the scene were taken to Laurens District Hospital for observation after being exposed to the fumes.
Killed were Luther Howard of Greenville and Elliot T. Brown of Elgin, both pronounced dead on the scene, and Ron Gilmer of Ware Shoals, pronounced dead at the hospital, Seymour jsaid.
The coroner said one worker was in critical condition.