Day in History: New sign on historic Chateau Theatre
1994 – 25 years ago
• A new Barnes and Noble sign is up on the historic Chateau Theater in downtown Rochester. Renovation work continues in the building which is scheduled to open July 1, 1994.
• A delegation of doctors and nurses from St. Petersburg, Russia, toured Mayo Clinic’s pediatric departments. The spokesman said that the hospital they were from (St. Petersburg Children’s Hospital) is poorly equipped by American standards.
1969 – 50 years ago
• Plainview’s Dean Rheingans, a senior lefthander, hurled his second no-hitter of the season in Hiawatha Valley Conference play as the Gophers beat Kasson-Mantorville 1-0 in high school baseball.
• Students from Rochester’s three high schools will join others from throughout the state for a Teen Corps March of Hope. The Teen Corps is a Student Council project which aims to help solve problems of the community, state and nation.
• In recognition of Rochester area servicemen who have been wounded in service to their country and are still recuperating in military hospitals, the Post Bulletin will publish their names and hospital addresses.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Breaking all records for making surgical dressings during the past two weeks, Red Cross volunteers completed a four-month quota in two months. 110,400 dressings have been completed since March 6.
• Residents of Zumbrota School District No. 68 will vote on a proposal to designate an additional school building site and authorize the board of education to acquire it.
1919 – 100 years ago
• A party of prominent railroad men met to discuss improvements needed at the current Northwestern railway depot. An enlarged ticket office, more lighting and a woman and man working in each particular waiting area to assist those needing help have been requested. Work on these improvements will start soon.
• The National Gypsy Association will hold its annual meeting in Rochester. For the benefit of the uninitiated, the Gypsy association is composed of motorcycle enthusiasts from all parts of the country.
From news services
Ten years ago
After a day of meetings at the White House, President Barack Obama declared he’d received the commitments he wanted from the leaders of Pakistan and Afghanistan to more aggressively fight Taliban and al-Qaida militants. Gov. John Baldacci signed a bill making Maine the fifth state to legalize same-sex marriage (however, the law was later overturned by a public vote).
Five years ago
A federal report said that global warming was rapidly affecting the United States in both visible and invisible ways; shortly after the report came out, President Barack Obama used several television weathermen to call for action to curb carbon pollution before it was too late. The Vatican disclosed that over the past decade, it had defrocked 848 priests who raped or molested children and sanctioned another 2,572 with lesser penalties. Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant won his first NBA MVP award.
One year ago
The number of homes destroyed by Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano reached 26, as scientists reported lava spewing more than 200 feet into the air. Lebanon’s Iranian-backed Hezbollah group scored major gains in parliamentary elections, as the main Western-backed faction headed by Prime Minister Saad Hariri lost a third of its seats.
Baseball Hall of Famer Willie Mays is 88. Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., is 85. Rock singer Bob Seger is 74. Singer Jimmie Dale Gilmore is 74. Gospel singer-comedian Lulu Roman is 73. Actor Alan Dale is 72. Actor Ben Masters is 72. Actor Richard Cox is 71. Actor Gregg Henry is 67. Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair is 66. TV personality Tom Bergeron is 64. Actress Roma Downey is 59. Rock singer John Flansburgh (They Might Be Giants) is 59. Actress Julianne Phillips is 59. Actor-director George Clooney is 58. Actor Clay O’Brien is 58. Rock singer-musician Tony Scalzo (Fastball) is 55. Actress Leslie Hope is 54. Actress Geneva Carr (TV: “Bull”) is 53. Rock musician Mark Bryan (Hootie and the Blowfish) is 52. Rock musician Chris Shiflett (Foo Fighters) is 48. Actress Stacey Oristano is 40. Model/TV personality Tiffany Coyne is 37. Actress Adrianne Palicki is 36. Actress Gabourey Sidibe (GA’-bah-ray SIH’-duh-bay) is 36. Actress-comedian Sasheer Zamata is 33. Rapper Meek Mill is 32. Houston Astros infielder Jose Altuve is 29. Actress-singer Naomi Scott is 26. Actor Noah Galvin is 25.