Related topics

Charles Farmer

November 4, 1996

ASTORIA, Ore. (AP) _ Charles Farmer, a longtime broadcaster and owner of four radio stations, died Thursday of a heart attack. He was 69.

Farmer owned KVAS-AM in Astoria, KCST-AM and KCST-FM in Florence and KKEE-FM of Long Beach, Wash.

Farmer, a native of Corsicana, Texas, started his career at a radio station in Santa Fe, N.M. He later worked for radio stations in Santa Maria, Ventura and Oxnard, Calif.

Farmer became part-owner of KVAS in 1959.

He was a past president of both the Astoria-Warrenton Chamber of Commerce and the Astoria Regatta Association.

He is survived by his wife, Betty; a son, Russ, and a daughter, Penny Shaffery.

Hattie Bratzel Kremen

SALEM, Ore. (AP) _ Hattie Bratzel Kremen, a court reporter at the Nuremberg trials who later became the first woman district attorney in Oregon, died Oct. 29. She was 87.

After World War II, Kremen spent two years working at the International Military Tribunal in Nuremberg. She served as Judge James T. Brand’s confidential secretary in 1947 and as a court reporter in 1948.

Kremen knew Brand from his days as a circuit court judge in Coos Bay. He would come to the Salem area to try cases in the Polk and Yamhill county circuit courts, where she worked as a court reporter.

In an interview last year, Kremen told an interviewer that she recalled the horrible details of medical experiments and people being executed for offenses as trivial as speculating that Germany would lose the war.

After returning to Oregon, she earned law degrees from Willamette University and Northwestern School of Law. She practiced in Salem and was appointed assistant attorney general and adviser to the state Civil Defense Agency.

In 1956 she was elected to her first of two terms as Marion County district attorney. After her 1964 defeat, she returned to private practice.

Eugene Polyakov

PARIS (AP) _ Eugene Polyakov, a Bolshoi-trained ballet master who assisted Rudolf Nureyev at the Paris Opera Ballet, died Oct. 24, a newspaper reported. He was 53.

Opera officials could not immediately be reached. The daily Le Monde did not give the cause nor place of death.

Polyakov was born in Moscow and trained at the Bolshoi Ballet before leaving the Soviet Union in 1976 to perform in Venice, Italy. A year later, he formed his own dance company there, Viva la Danza.

In 1978, Polyakov moved to Florence to direct the Teatro Communale, where he stayed until Nureyev summoned him to Paris in 1983. Polyakov returned to Florence after Nureyev’s death in 1992.

Update hourly