Woman charged in man’s shooting at ‘party house’

February 16, 2019

The house in the 2600 block of Lillie Street was known as a “party house,” where people played cards and socialized.

But about 8 p.m. Feb. 3, a man they call “Al” or “Pops” was shot as he walked upstairs, according to court documents.

Glenda F. Watkins, 54, of the 1800 block of Antoinette Street, was identified as the woman who pulled out a small black and gray semi-automatic .22-caliber handgun and fired two rounds at him as he mounted the stairs with a bag of party items.

“Say it one more time,” Watkins reportedly told Al when he recalled the shooting for police. The first bullet missed him. The second one hit his left flank, according to court documents.

Then Watkins came close, pointing the gun at his head, touching his forehead with the gun. “Tell me you are sorry or I’ll shoot you in the head,” Watkins said. Al said he told Watkins he was sorry and she left, but he didn’t know why he was apologizing, court documents said. 

Watkins used the same gun Al said he’d seen in a curio cabinet in Watkins’ house.

Watkins was charged Friday with aggravated battery or knowingly inflicting injury that risks death, unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon, being a felon carrying a handgun, battery resulting in bodily injury to a pregnant woman and criminal recklessness committed with a deadly weapon.

The court document did not detail why Watkins was charged with battery to a pregnant woman but did note that Watkins had been convicted of battery in September 2004.

Physicians told police the bullet was in Al’s pelvis, resting on or near the spinal cord. Al’s kidney was also damaged, physicians said, and Al was listed in serious condition.

Detectives interviewed several people who were at the house at the time.

One woman was on her way upstairs with Al just behind her when she heard two pops and saw pieces from the wall fall. She ran into the bathroom and got on the floor. When she emerged from the bathroom, she found Al had been shot, court records said.

A man said he was sleeping in a bedroom upstairs when two gunshots woke him up. He walked out to find “Pops” at the top of the stairs suffering from a gunshot wound, records said. 

When police arrived, Al was sitting on a chair at the bottom of the stairs, court documents said. 

One witness said Watkins left and then came back with cigarettes and stayed at the house when a group of them left to walk down Lillie Street toward Pontiac Street, according to court records. One of the group thought she heard gunshots. Returning to the house, they found that Al had been shot.

Watkins told police she accidentally shot Al and that she’d found that gun with some ammunition and a holster in her attic after getting in through an attic trap door. The day she shot Al, court records said, she’d brought the gun over to show him.

Somehow, the gun went off and one round hit the stairway banister and then struck Al, court records said. Watkins said Al was reaching toward the gun when it went off and he fell back on the stairs.

Watkins said Al cursed at her and told her to leave, so she left.

Further investigation found that the attic’s trap door had been sealed for a long time with a screw in each corner, records said. A detective had to break it to pry it open, and the insulation looked as though it hadn’t been touched for a long time, documents said.

A round found under the mattress of Watkins’ bed matched the rounds shot at the party house, court records said.

She was being held at the Allen County Jail in lieu of $32,500 bail. Her next court hearing will be Wednesday.