Flipped ATV ends Emerson manhunt

August 27, 2018

EMERSON — A manhunt here ended around 7 p.m. Sunday with the arrest of a man considered armed and dangerous.

Dakota County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to the 2300 block of Highway 35 early Sunday evening when the owner of the stolen ATV reported that he was following the vehicle as it entered a field. Deputies arrived in the area and, after a short time, the stolen four-wheeler was spotted traveling east.

Noticing the law enforcement vehicle, the driver of the ATV tried to turn around, which caused it to flip.

The driver, 40-year-old Jose Salud Ibarra, subsequently tried to get back on the ATV but was taken into custody by deputies.

Earlier Sunday morning, deputies with the sheriff’s office in Dakota County first had been dispatched to the area of Highway 35 and Perry Avenue after a caller reported a male and a female jumping into the roadway.

After arriving in the area, deputies subsequently located a 12-year-old female. It was reported that the male allegedly had climbed into a semi-trailer truck and headed west. The juvenile female was reunited with her mother and siblings, law enforcement representatives said.

During the course of the investigation, law enforcement officers learned that the family’s father — Ibarra — allegedly had abducted and assaulted his family with a firearm. They were traveling west on Highway 35 near Perry Avenue but went off the road due to the weather and became stuck. Ibarra and his daughter went for help, which is when they were reported on the road.

The other family members were able to free the vehicle and drive back to South Sioux City to seek help.

Ibarra had entered a cornfield to the north with his daughter, but she later escaped and came back to the highway and was located by deputies.

Deputies eventually determined Ibarra did not leave in a semi truck and was last seen in the cornfield.

Dakota County deputies were joined by Dakota County Special Team Reaction, the South Sioux City Police Department, Nebraska State Patrol, Emerson Police Department, Dixon County Sheriff’s Office and a Nebraska Game and Parks Conservation officer to search for Ibarra.

The state patrol provided a helicopter and two canines to assist in the search.

Ibarra was considered armed and dangerous, and the public was warned not to approach him if they saw him. When he was apprehended Sunday evening, he was armed with a handgun, a rifle and several knives. He was transported to St. Luke’s Regional Medical Center in Sioux City by Emerson Rescue.

Once medically cleared, Ibarra will be transported back to the Dakota County jail.

More details regarding the numerous felonies and misdemeanors he faces will be available when he is booked into the jail, law enforcement representatives said.

Update hourly