Woman dies in house fire in rural Milford
MILFORD — Cassandra Walts, of rural Milford, was found dead in her home after firefighters extinguished a fire on Tuesday.
At approximately 12:50 p.m., Iroquois County Sheriff’s police were dispatched to the home on a welfare check, Coroner Bill Cheatum said. The home was fully-engulfed in fire.
An autopsy revealed the 65-year-old Walts had soot in her lungs. There were no signs of foul play, Cheatum said. A final cause of death is pending toxicology reports.
Firefighters from Cissna Park, Milford and Wellington battled the blaze.