Five Die From Wine Poisoning, Two Arrested
MILAN, Italy (AP) _ Two wine distributers were arrested Friday and charged with multiple manslaughter, police said. Five people have died in northern Italy after drinking red wine believed tainted with methyl alcohol.
Thirteen people believed to have been poisoned by the wine remain hospitalized in Milan and other towns in the northern regions of Apulia and Piemonte.
Italian officials have said that none of the poisioned wine has been exported. But the West German Health Ministry, noting that some poisoned Italian wine recently had been discovered in France, said consumers should not drink wine from the northern Italian regions involved.
Prosecutors investigating the wine poisoning issued warrants Friday against Giovanni Ciravegna, 57, and his son, Daniele, 27, who run a wine distributing outlet outside Cuneo.
They were later arrested at their house and charged with multiple manslaughter, multiple injuries and violation of laws concerning wine production, police said.
Two men died Friday. One of them, Alvaro Antinori, 43, a blue collar worker, was hospitalized Sunday after drinking wine believed to contain a high level of methyl alcohol, which can cause blindness, coma and death if consumed in large quantities.
The identity of the other man who died Friday, in Genoa, was not immediately made available.
Also, Milan Judge Alberto Noboli has ordered the seizure of about 14,000 bottles of ″Odore″ wine and has been questioning two men connected with its production, Vincenzo Odore, 76, and his son Carlo, 48.