Dominican Nun Placed on Leave
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)
BOSTON (AP) _ A Dominican nun has been placed on leave following an accusation of sexual misconduct with a fifth-grade girl in an Indiana classroom 40 years ago.
The complaint against Sister Ann Daylor, 67, director of religious education at St. Mary’s Church in Georgetown, was made to the Indianapolis Archdiocese on Oct. 30, said Sister Norah Guy of the order of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catharine of Siena.
Guy said Daylor has denied the allegation but did not want to comment further.
The alleged victim, believed now to be in her 50s, told the chancellor of the archdiocese that the incident occurred after school in a classroom at the Sacred Heart Elementary School in Jeffersonville, Ind., Guy said.
The woman said Daylor acted inappropriately only once, Guy said. The order has not been provided other details of the alleged incident.
The chancellor’s office received the report that ``Sister Ann’s behavior was interpreted as having sexual overtones and was therefore reported as sexual misconduct,″ Guy said.
Susan Borcherts, spokeswoman for the Indianapolis Archdiocese, said the incident was reported to civil authorities and Daylor’s order. Borcherts said she could not make public any details of the allegation.
In Clark County, where Jeffersonville is located, deputy prosecutor Denise Schafer said she could find no record Thursday indicating that the allegation had been reported or investigated.
Guy said the alleged victim was a student of Daylor’s during the 1961-62 school year. She said the woman had been contacted by Sister Joye Gros, the order’s president, but indicated she was not interested in taking legal action and did not provide additional information.
Daylor was placed on administrative leave until the order completes its investigation. However, the order was struggling with how to proceed, Guy said, given the alleged victim’s reluctance to provide information.
St. Mary’s is part of the Boston Archdiocese, the center of the sex abuse scandal that erupted early this year. At least 325 priests have either been dismissed from their duties or resigned since.
Also on Thursday:
_Illinois prosecutors announced the indictment of a priest on charges that he sexually abused three 12-year-old boys at a church in Hinsdale, Ill. during the mid-1980s.
Prosecutors said Fred Lenczycki was transferred to a church in Missouri in 1985 after the parents of one of the alleged victims complained about inappropriate sexual conduct involving the priest and their son. A message left with Lenczycki’s lawyer Thursday was not immediately returned.
_A judge ruled that a priest accused of sex abuse filed a false statement when he denied clearing the Boston Archdiocese to share his psychiatric records. The Rev. Bernard Lane’s attorney and nephew, Gerard Lane, said there had been a misunderstanding about which documents were considered records.