AP NEWS
Related topics

Nevada man using torch to battle bugs dead after house fire

May 22, 2019

HENDERSON, Nev. (AP) — Authorities in Nevada say a 63-year-old man died after being pulled from a basement crawl space where he ignited a house fire with a torch he was using to exterminate bugs.

The Clark County coroner on Tuesday identified the dead man as Jeff Long of Henderson.

Henderson city spokeswoman Kathleen Richards says a woman and a dog escaped unharmed and firefighters quickly doused the fire after arriving a little after 6 p.m. Monday to find light smoke at the one-story house.

Long was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Investigators determined that Long ignited unspecified combustible materials with the propane torch in the crawl space.

Damage to the home was estimated at about $60,000.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.