Euclid man charged in crash that injured woman, three children near Forest Hills Park in Cleveland

September 12, 2018

Euclid man charged in crash that injured woman, three children near Forest Hills Park in Cleveland

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A Euclid man is accused of throwing marijuana out a car window and speeding away from a State Highway Patrol cruiser before he caused a serious crash that injured a woman and three children.

Curtis W. Harris, 26, is charged with aggravated vehicular assault in the Aug. 28 crash near Forest Hills Park in Cleveland, according to court records.

Harris was speeding when he ran a red light and struck another car at the intersection of Arlington Avenue and Thornhill Drive, according to a Highway Patrol incident report. A 43-year-old woman, a 15-year-old boy, a 12-year-old boy and a 6-year-old girl were hurt in the crash.

Highway Patrol troopers did not try to stop Harris’ car before he sped away from them at the intersection of East 120th Street and St. Clair Avenue, Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Robert Sellers said.

Harris was driving a 2008 Mazda CX-7 when a Highway Patrol cruiser pulled up behind him at a stop sign. He threw two small baggies out of the car and sped away, Sellers said.

The troopers got out of the cruiser to recover the baggies, which contained marijuana, Sellers said. They lost sight of the Mazda before they could initiate a traffic stop.

The Mazda was headed south on Thornhill Drive when Harris ran a red light and struck a 2007 Infinity G35 in the intersection at Arlington Avenue, the report says. The Mazda also struck a flagpole, bench and concrete wall before it came to a stop.

Harris got out of the car and ran away before the troopers arrived at the crash scene, the report says.

Cleveland EMS took the woman and the three children to local hospitals to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries, the report says.

Both cars sustained heavy front-end damage and needed to be towed from the scene.

Investigators identified Harris as the Mazda’s driver and obtained a warrant for his arrest on Aug. 30. He was arrested Monday and taken to the Cuyahoga County Jail, according to court and jail records.

His first appearance in Cleveland Municipal Court has not yet been scheduled.

To comment on this story, visit Wednesday’s crime and courts comments page.

Update hourly