CLEVELAND (AP) _ Six people remained hospitalized Sunday after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes that sickened 52 people attending wedding receptions.

People attending two receptions at the Villa di Borally Party Center in suburban Richmond Heights were taken ill Saturday night and treated at four area hospitals.

Richmond Heights Fire Chief Robert Stefancik said it appeared that carbon monoxide escaped from a faulty hot water heater on the first floor of the center. He said the fumes were pulled into a nearby air conditioner and spread throughout the first floor.

It was unclear whether the fumes reached the second floor. About 250 people were attending wedding receptions on the two floors.

Robert Talion of Parma said several women collapsed in a restroom about 9:30 p.m., and other people quickly became sick. His wife, Delores, was one of the victims.

Richmond Heights fire officials investigated the building Sunday morning after repairs were made and gave owner Albert Borally the go-ahead to open for business.

''The inspector said everything is all right, and we will try to make some improvement so this type of thing will never happen again,'' Borally said.