Germany Seeks Argentine Military Men
BERLIN (AP) _ A German court said Tuesday it issued arrest warrants for two more former Argentine officials in connection with the 1977 killing of a German student under the country’s military dictatorship.
The Nuremberg district court said it was seeking Pedro Alberto Duran Saenz, alleged head of the clandestine ``El Vesubio″ detention center, and retired Gen. Juan Bautista Sasiain, a regional commander, on the grounds they were responsible for the murder of Elisabeth Kaesemann.
Last year, the court failed to secure the extradition of a former senior Argentine army general in the same case.
Kaesemann, 30, was a university economics student in Argentina involved in a leftist movement. Abducted in March 1977, she was reportedly held and tortured at the detention center before being handcuffed, hooded and shot to death on May 24, 1977.
Her body was handed over to her parents several weeks later for burial in her home city of Tuebingen.
The Nuremberg court last July issued an arrest warrant for retired Gen. Guillermo Suarez Mason, accusing him of ordering the killing. But Argentina rejected the extradition request in November, saying that any acts committed on Argentine soil should be judged by local courts.
At least 9,000 people are officially listed as disappeared or dead from the so-called ``Dirty War″ waged by right-wing military officers against leftists and other political dissidents during Argentina’s dictatorship. Human rights organizations put the toll of dead and missing at nearly 30,000.
Kaesemann’s case is being handled by Nuremberg prosecutors, who were appointed by German legal authorities to handle issues related to the 1976-83 dictatorship. A Nuremberg-based human rights group, the Coalition Against Impunity, has been pushing for warrants in the Kaesemann case.