AP NEWS

OREGON Board signs off on school resource officer

December 18, 2018

OREGON – The Oregon School Board gave its unanimous support to providing extra security for high school students.

The board approved an intergovernmental agency agreement Monday with the city of Oregon to share the costs of a school resource officer, beginning Jan. 3 when classes resume.

Oregon Police Sgt. Randy Cropp will be on duty full-time at high school initially, then spend time in the other buildings later on as details are worked out.

The school district will pay 70 percent of the cost; the city will pick up the remaining 30 percent.

Mayor Ken Williams estimated the initial cost for the first year of the SRO at just under $90,000 for Cropp’s salary and benefits and the necessary equipment. The city’s share will be about $28,000.

Security is just part of the services Cropp will offer students, Superintendent Tom Mahoney said.

“In addition to providing the school community with additional security, the SRO will be a resource through the relationships he will build with our students,” Mahoney said. “These relationships usually lead to early intervention when problems arise.

“Also, we believe he will be able to provide some guidance to students who are interested in being a first responder or joining our military.”

The board’s decision to have an SRO in place as soon as possible was prompted by the May 16 shooting at Dixon High School, Mahoney has said. Senior Matthew Milby Jr. was shot by SRO Mark Dallas after Milby shot at a teacher during graduation practice in the gym.

AP RADIO
Update hourly