Gas leak causes evacuation of Lighthouse Place
MICHIGAN CITY — A portion of the Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets was evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a gas leak.
According to NIPSCO, a 3-inch underground natural gas line was struck by a contract company. The contractor was digging about 1 p.m. near the south end of Lighthouse Place near Eighth and Manhattan streets.
NIPSCO crews worked with the Michigan City Fire Department to secure the area. As a safety precaution, a portion of the mall was temporarily evacuated while crews shut off the damaged line, which is under the roadway.
At about 2:30 p.m., the area was deemed “safe” and customers were being let back into stores.
Utility spokesman Nick Meyer said those traveling in the area may notice a strong odor of natural gas in the air.
While NIPSCO made repairs to the damaged line, the company expected about 100 customers to temporarily be without natural gas service.