Advances in IoT Communications - Technologies, Markets and Applications (2018-2020) - ResearchAndMarkets.com
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct 8, 2018--The “Advances in IoT Communications - Technologies, Markets and Applications” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
Designed specifically for low bandwidth, low-power IoT applications, LPWAs structures are poised to see huge growth over the next few years, with stakeholders across the industry now talking about LPWA technologies as a core enabler of the IoT.
LPWA profile IoT applications include metering, agriculture, vehicle telematics, tracking, healthcare, consumer products, and others. It is estimated that 3-4 billion LPWA connections will be in place by 2020, with hardware, network and service revenues reaching $9-$11 billion.
This report addresses novel technologies and related markets designed for IoT/M2M communications.
Due to multiplicity of factors that should be considered in the developing IoT networks (applications, battery requirements, and traffic specifics, etc.) there is only a very remote possibility that a single technology will resolve all IoT communications issues. So far, the picture is very fragmented with multiple organizations developing specific technologies.
There are two main tracks to wide-area public-network connectivity. The first is the evolution of LTE (and some other cellular technologies) to support IoT applications: longer battery life, longer range, lower cost in exchange for lower throughput. The second track includes narrow-band (NB) and ultra-narrow band (UNB) technologies promoted as a clean slate solution for IoT connectivity.
Mesh technologies (typically based on ZigBee) and Wi-Fi extensions (e.g. 802.11ah) have typically been used in private networks and have a separate evolution path (as examples, the report addresses 802.11ah, Bluetooth Mesh and Thread). Bluetooth Mesh is bringing many important to IoT communications features utilizing well established hardware platforms.
New proprietary technologies, such as LoRa, SigFox and other came into the market before standardized technologies; and they have already gained the sufficient market share. 3GPP standards are being approved gradually in Releases 12-14.
Despite of this, it is expected that modified LTE and GSM will be able relatively fast to gain power - for these techniques, vast amount of cellular infrastructure is ready, and adaption to IoT communications requirements can be done usually through software upgrade. The report compares advantages and weaknesses of each method.
For the purpose of this report analysis, the following groups of technologies are distinguished:
1. Low Power Wide Area (LPWA) communications (Sub-1 GHz):LoRA SigFox Weightless (W, N, P)
2. 3GPP cellular LPWA (LTE, GSM):NB-IoT LTE Cat - M EC-GSM-IoT Other
3. Industry Groups/Standardizations Organizations:IEEE802.11ah (Sub-1 GHz) Thread Bluetooth Mesh ETSI LTN Ingenu
Key Topics Covered
2. IoT/M2M Communications Specifics
3. Developing Communications Technologies for IoTActility Advantech Amiho Cisco Embit Kerlink Link Labs LORIOT.io Microchip Technology MultiTech Murata Sagemcom Semtech STMicroelectronics Tektelic Adeunis RF Atmel (acquired by Microchip in 2016) Innocomm Microchip On Semiconductor Telit TI CEL Digi NXP (Qualcomm) Silicon Labs
4. IoT Communications: Adaption Existing TechnologiesAviacomm/Newracom Morse Micro Orca Aegis-IP Altair (Sony Group Company) Aeris Ericsson Gemalto Kore Telematics Mistbase (acquired by ARM in 2017) Orca Sequans Qualcomm U-blox WNC
5. Global Standardization Organizations
6. IoT Communications - Market Development
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/t2xw6q/advances_in_iot?w=4
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181008005374/en/
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
Related Topics:Telecommunications and Networks,Internet of Things and M2M
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: TECHNOLOGY TELECOMMUNICATIONS
SOURCE: Research and Markets
Copyright Business Wire 2018.
PUB: 10/08/2018 07:45 AM/DISC: 10/08/2018 07:45 AM