AP NEWS

Fire Quickly Extinguished in South Canton Street Home

November 19, 2018

LOWELL -- An overloaded extension cord is thought to be the cause of a one-alarm fire in the city’s Highlands neighborhood Sunday morning.

No injuries were reported due to the fire that broke out inside the two-family dwelling at 15 S. Canton St., according to Lowell Fire Chief Jeffrey Winward.

Firefighters were called to the structure about 10 a.m.

“Fire department crews quickly extinguished the fire, limiting the damage to the first-floor rear,” Winward said.

One unit in the structure was impacted by the blaze, according to the chief. He added the apartment’s occupant was not home when the fire broke out.

According to Winward, the resident of the damaged unit was displaced.

“The owner was going to find a place for the occupant to stay,” Winward said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly