Thursday night kitchen fire closes Gering Runza temporarily
GERING — The popular Gering Runza restaurant is closed temporarily after a small fire broke out on the grill in the kitchen on Thursday night.
Runza franchise owner Neal Blomenkamp said Friday morning that Gering Fire responded after the grill caught on fire. He said the damage was isolated to the grill, and he expected it to reopen rather quickly.
“If I had a grill I’d be open by 11,” Blomenkamp said. “It’s really just a blip on the map, so we’re pretty lucky.”
On Friday morning, Blomenkamp said he is en route to get a new grill and that he was waiting on the fire marshal to clear the restaurant to reopen.